9/12/10

Burrow Owl!

We were all a little worried that this one was going to end up looking like a baby chicken chick. This first photo shows the worry spot. It kind of looks like an egg with feet. However, once the eyebrow and other facial details went on and the grout went in, this thing was/is all owl. They'll be adding the concrete burrow on the back so it's a true burrow owl. Although all the speckling and spots made me think of spotted owls more than once. I had some larger pupil tiles made up for the eyes but they didn't fit the curve as well as these smaller ones did so it looks like he's been woken up during the day. Sarah did the tile work on the beak. She's amazingly detailed and patient. So here's the burrow owl coming it at lucky #7. One more beast to go!



1 comment:

  1. I saw this beautiful owl on a flat bed driving down the I-5 a couple weeks ago--I didn't think I would ever get to know anything more about it until lo and behold, catching up on the LA Times was their article on the new Malibu Legacy Park which features your work. Congratulations; truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete